Diwali, festival of lights, at Leicester...
The festival of Diwali is a celebration of light over darkness, of courage over adversity, of friendship over hostility.
In the city of Leicester, Belgrave Road has one of the biggest Diwali celebrations after those in Mumbai. Almost around 30,000 people were gathered in Leicester for celebrating Diwali. There was a program of cultural entertainment and dancing from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at Cossington Street recreation ground and then it culminated in a firework and laser show. Belgrave Road was closed to traffic from 5.30pm to 10.30pm. Houses, shops, and public places are decorated and decked out with garlands and with small oil lamps and traditional artworks.
I was completely stunned on that day. I never thought that Diwali gets celebrated in a large and vibrant proportion of the population out side India as well. Diwali has become a global festival today - thanks to non-resident Indians (NRIs). Wherever Hindu NRIs live in sizeable numbers, be it anywhere in the world, Diwali has the same colour, feasting, gifting and sparkle as in India.
I would be back in my home town to celebrate Diwali next year :-).



















No comments:
Post a Comment